Randy D. Ralph, MLIS, Ph.D.
1994 - pres.    University of North
Carolina at Greensboro,
- Presently    Visiting Instructor, Department of
Library and Information Studies, School of Education.
Plan and teach:
- Introduction to Electronic Resources
LIS100 - fall semester 1996.
- Information Retrieval
LIS506a - fall semester 1996.
- Educational Applications of BASIC
LIS582 - fall semester 1996.
- Abstracting and Indexing LIS646 - spring semester 1996.
Comparison of the Top Eight WWW Search Engines
- Spreadsheets for Librarians LIS688a - spring semester 1996.
- 1996  Continuing Education
Instructor, Adult and Continuing Education.
- 1994 - 1995    Research Associate,
Walter Clinton Jackson Library.
- Responsible for the management of the Electronic CITI microcomputer laboratory of
Jackson Library at UNCG.
- Responsible for generation of WWW HTML pages for the Electronic CITI in Jackson Library.
Base URL (now modified) http://www.uncg.edu:80/~cecarr/citi/
- Partially responsible for the development of Jackson Library's WWW Archives HTML pages.
Modified URLs (now modified) http://www.uncg.edu/lib/arch/jarrell/
- 1994 and 1995    Laboratory Assistant,
Instructional Resources and Computing
- Responsible for point-of-use training in the Electronic CITI
microcomputer laboratory of Jackson Library at UNCG.
- Responsible for general maintenance of microcomputer equipment
and Windows, Novell and DOS-based software.
1995 - 1996    System and Extension Librarian,
Mertys W. Bell Library, Learning Resources Center, Guilford Technical Community College,
- Responsible for point-of-use and in-class training for library staff on
Windows, network and Internet microcomputer applications and Internet services.
- Responsible for point-of-use and in-class training and bibliographic instruction
for faculty, staff and students on Windows, network and Internet microcomputer applications, Internet
services and library systems and services.
- Systems extension librarian for 1 remote GTCC library branch and 4 remote reading rooms
at GTCC and Davie County Community College.
- Project Librarian for a consortium of 4 NC community colleges using the Ameritech
Horizon automation system.
- Development of WWW pages for the Mertys W. Bell Library and Learning Resources at GTCC
and for the WWW pages of the Learning Resources Center Library at Davidson County Community
College. Base URLs: http://126.96.36.199/lrc/links/ and
1982 - 1992    Master Literature Scientist, R&D
Scientific Information Services Library, Bowman Gray Technical Center, R. J. Reynolds
Tobacco Company, Winston-Salem, NC.
- Responsible for the direction of the research library. Staff -
4 professional, 7 support. Annual Budget - $1.5 million. Total
collection - 30 thousand volumes, 1.5 million documents in 5
proprietary micromedia archives, 250K citations in 11 inhouse
databases supported by BASISPlus software on a VAX 9000 mainframe.
- Responsible for the institution and development of automated
library and information retrieval, storage, dissemination and management
techniques using BASISPlus database management software. F. W.
Faxon LINX/SC20 system for serials control. OCLC system for copy
cataloguing. Total retrospective conversion to LC MARC via SOLINET
- Developed data conversion programs in BASIC for the automated
transfer of information from 12 external databases into internal
1986 - 1993    Adjunct Instructor of Chemistry,
Chemistry Department, College of Arts and Sciences, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem,
- Plan and teach Chemical
Literature CHM 383 at the graduate level.
1981 - 1982    Senior Information Biologist, Technical
Information Services, Chemical Research and Development Center, FMC Corporation,
- Partially responsible for the development of in-house library
service marketing aids, in-house library service educational
materials and demonstrations in online literature search services.
- Partially responsible for manual and online, in-house literature
searches on topics in toxicology, biomedicine, biotechnology and
- Partially responsible for technical writing of in-house literature
search and literature survey reports and chemical materials safety
1982 (Spring)    Adjunct Professor of Biology, Biology
Department, Camden College of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ.
- Responsible for planning and teaching the course Plant Ecology,
B130:331 at the undergraduate level.
1978 - 1980    Principal Literature Scientist, Toxicology
Information Department, Science Information Services Organization, Franklin
Research Center, The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, PA.
- Partially responsible for the design of the Chemical Regulations
and Guidelines System (CRGS) developed for the Interagency Regulatory
Liaison Group (IRLG) under the auspices of the Environmental
- Responsible for coordinating indexing of items screened from the
Federal Register during the Coal Processing Project for the
Department of Energy, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee.
- Responsible for coordinating all manual and online literature
search activities conducted in connection with the production of
the Pesticides Literature Reference System (PLRS) for the
Environmental Protection Agency.
1978 (Spring)    Lecturer, School of Life and Health Sciences,
University of Delaware, Newark, DE.
- Responsible for planning and teaching at the graduate and
undergraduate levels, B525, Plant Science Workshop, and B215, Plant
Structure and Function.
- Developed a revised checklist of the flora of the New Jersey Pine
1971 - 1977    Teaching Assistant, School of Life and Health
Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE.
- Taught laboratory and field courses on the graduate and undergraduate
levels in botany, ecology, physiology and anatomy and wrote several
laboratory manuals for the instruction of students in the anatomy
and physiology of flowering plants.
- Prepared checklists of the flora of the New Jersey Pine Barrens and
the coastal plain of Delaware for presentation to members of the
Northeast Section of the Botanical Society of America during guided
excursions in these areas.
1969 - 1971    Senior Research Associate, BioSciences
Information Service of Biological Abstracts, Biological Abstracts, Philadelphia,
- Subscriber Search Service - Walter Reed Army Hospital:
Formulated and executed manual and computer search strategies
and compiled bibliographies on biomedical and chemical subjects.
- Toxicology Information Project - National Library of Medicine:
Partially responsible for vocabulary control and thesaurus
development and construction. Designed Taxicon, an hierarchically
retrievable computer code for taxonomic characterization and
1968 - 1969    NSF Trainee, College of Marine Studies,
University of Delaware, Lewes, DE.
- Participated in the detailed mapping of the flora and topography of
Canary Creek Marsh, Lewes, DE.