Randy D. Ralph, MLIS, Ph.D.
Planned and directed all database management services undertaken in
support of a large corporate research library and information center.
- Assessed and evaluated alternative database management systems.
- Established bibliographic and chemical database management services.
- Designed internal databases for research documents, patents, scientific
and technical literature, chemistry and a library card catalog.
- Established database security structure, protocols and procedures.
- Coordinated initial data entry into all internal bibliographic databases.
- Transferred all critical research data from MINISIS on an HP 3000 to
BASIS release K on a VAX 8700.
- Redesigned and integrated internal BASIS release K database structure to
take full advantage of BASISPlus relational capabilities.
- Migrated 28 internal databases with over 150K citations from BASIS
release K to BASISPlus on a VAX 9000 without data loss or corruption.
Provided user training and support services to a population of up to 850
research scientists, technicians and support personnel.
- Designed and implemented user interfaces to internal databases operating
under BASISPlus using VAX DCL and BASISPlus command procedures.
- Designed and developed database user training materials and programs.
- Trained users on database interfaces and in on-line information retrieval.
- Provided design support to users wishing to build independent databases.
- Trained users in BASISPlus FQM command language for direct database
Automated database user access and information delivery services and
systems in support of research activities and projects.
- Developed programs in QBASIC to reformat data received from external
sources including MARC and ISO formatted records.
- Automated batch data updates using VAX DCL and BASISPlus command
- Established internal SDI services using individually tailored search
profiles with results delivered via VAX MAIL.
- Established an electronic news clipping service based on information
downloaded daily from external sources and distributed via VAX MAIL.
Provided information and database management and development services in
support of Total Quality First (TQF) team and individual research
- Designed an internal corporate skills databank for use in building TQF
- Designed an internal database for automating the collection and
distribution of research and development activity reports and highlights.
- Cost-justified the purchase of MACCS II 3D chemical database
software for the VAX 9000 in support of critical TQF development teams.
Designed and implemented thesauruses and authority files for a large
BASISPlus installation using the TM thesaurus management tools.
- Developed initial controlled vocabularies for use in indexing research
- Developed several scientific and technical thesauruses for use as aids
to searching -
- American/British spelling concordance.
- Authority file for research project names and numbers.
- Chemical synonymy linked to CAS registry numbers.
- Thesaurus to standard abbreviations and acronyms.
- Thesaurus to taxonomy with hierarchically encoded lead terms.
- Established thesaurus-based authority control over database indexes.